Don’t you just love shag rag rugs? Well, here’s an easy tutorial so you can make one! These make awesome gifts so you can start making Christmas presents early! Every year I tell myself I’m gonna get Christmas done in July…it hasn’t happened yet, but with all the great tutorials I’m finding online I might just do it this year!
Shag Rag Rugs are soft and cozy, warm and inviting and extremely stylish; making them the perfect addition to a hefty price tag that came with it. I was bound and determined to have a shag rug for my grand baby’s nursery, and guess what? My DIY Shag Rag Rug turned out GREAT, it looks so much better than I imagined!
I’ve seen a 3X5 at Urban Outfitters $79.00. This is how you make one with very little expense.
1. 1/4″ mesh rug canvas or a rug gripper
2. Fabric (cotton or synthetic wool works great)
For fabric, you may even want to use recycled t-shirts or scrap fabric. It cuts costs and puts old clothing to good use!
1. Cut fabric into strips. About 1/2 by 4 inches each. See what looks best for your particular rug.
2. If you have a pattern or design in mind, plan out where each color will go.
3. Feed each strip through the mesh across a diagonal.
4. Tie one square knot. Or add another knot for increased density.
Watch this step by step tutorial and make yourself one!
A big thanks to Craftaholics Anonymous for the use of the rag rug photo for this post. Be sure to check out their blog site for more fabulous finds!