If You Have A Grill and an Hour, We Bet You’ve Got Everything You Need For Easy Bourbon Candied Bacon
Pig candy. Billionaire’s bacon. This beloved Southern treat goes by many names for a reason- it’s pretty hard to come up with the perfect words to describe it because the taste of it will leave you speechless. Easy to make, low mess, this crispy candied treat can be made outside on the grill in about an hour. All you need is your favorite bourbon, and only a half a cup. Guess you’ll have to figure out something else to do with the rest of that bottle 😉 The other ingredients are simple ones you are likely to already have on hand, so there is simply no excuse not to make at least one batch of this in the next 24 hours.
If it’s so easy, what’s the secret? Indirect heat on the grill. This means grill your bacon, but in the center with the middle burner off. This way, your bacon gets crispy slowly while you are slowly brushing on the candy bourbon mixture as you go.
Here is what you need:
Ingredients for Making Bourbon Candied Bacon
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 Tablespoons maple syrup
2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup bourbon
one package bacon
A basting brush
Feel free to double up on the ingredients and plan to make two batches. You may only be able to fit one batch at a time on your grill, but we promise you, you’re gonna want to have a double batch. One for you, one for them…
Use Jameson, Jack or any other favorite of yours. Bourbon or whiskey should work just fine.
Cooking Instructions for Billionaire’s Bacon:
1. First, you’ll want to mix all of the ingredients except for the bacon in a small bowl. Stir.
2. Using only your side burners, heat a CLEAN grill to medium-low or about 360 degrees F. This means it needs to be that hot with the middle burner off. This is where your bacon is going. If you can’t or won’t clean your grill, you can use foil, but your bacon will not end up being quite as crispy as ours.
3. Place bacon in the center of the grill and cook for 20 minutes.
4. Open grill and baste sugar bourbon mixture on bacon.
5. Cook another 15 minutes.
6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 until your bacon is crispy, candied and golden brown.